Neuroscience student research opportunities
Get started as early in your undergraduate career as possible so you have a chance to build your skills and contribute to the research for the team you work with. You may find that you do research in your freshman year and continue until graduation.
Step 1: Learn about the research going on in the department and beyond and identify two or three areas that interest you.
- Visit faculty research pages to learn about their fields of interest.
- Talk to your advisor.
- Talk to other students and your TA's about their research.
- Look at the posters in the hallways of the department.
Step 2:Contact two or three faculty members and ask for an appointment to discuss their research and the possibility of an undergrad position on their team. If you don't hear back within a few weeks, send another email or drop by their office.
IUPUI Programs & Funding
Here are just some of the program and funding opportunities available to IUPUI students:
University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center Summer Undergraduate Fellowship
The University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center Summer Undergraduate Fellowship program supports undergraduate students who are interested in cardiovascular research. Any student who is currently enrolled at any degree granting University or College is eligible to apply for this opportunity, with preference given to those students interested in a career in research.
Each student will be matched, based on his or her interests, to a laboratory that is led by a faculty member of the University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center. This collection of laboratories is involved in internationally recognized research in topics such as atherosclerosis, genetic cardiomyopathies, blood clotting disorders, cardiac arrhythmias, vascular biology, and heart failure.
The stipend will be $4,000 for ten weeks of full-time work, starting the Tuesday after Memorial Day and ending around the first week of August. There will be a research forum at the end of the summer in which fellows will present their work, as well as opportunities to attend research seminars throughout the summer.
The application for our 2017 Frankel CVC Summer Undergraduate Fellowship program is currently open and the deadline for submission is January 31, 2017. I have also included a flyer to forward on to students you feel may be interested. Thank you.
Academic Year Undergraduate Research Programs
- CRL Research Position Job Board
- CRL Rise Scholarship Award | Application Due April 1
- Diversity Scholars Research Program (DSRP) | Application Due March 1
- FAST TRACK Undergraduate Research Mentor Grant
- IUPUI Life-Health Sciences Internships Program | Application Opens in January
- Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Institute (MURI) | Application Due September 19
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Grant | Application Due September 19
Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- Diversity Scholars Research Program (S-DSRP) | Application Deadline: March 1
- Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research Summer Internship Program
- Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (Indiana CTSI) | Application Deadline: March 1
- IU Simon Cancer Center Summer Research Program (IUSCCSRP) | Application: Opens in November and Closes in February
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Grant
- STEM Summer Internship | Application Due March 25
Life-Health Sciences Internships
Life-Health Sciences Internships connect IUPUI life and health sciences undergraduates with research and professional experience internships on and near the IUPUI campus. This program helps students to explore their career objectives and future career pathways while also fostering valuable professional connections between students and faculty and staff. The students belong to a community of interns and mentors who support one another throughout the internship experience and beyond. Learn more and apply.
STEM Summer Internship
The STEM Summer Internship Program is funded by the Center for the Advancement of STEM Education (UCASE) at IUPUI. It aims to engage Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) students in educationally purposeful activities that allow them the opportunities to examine their interest in and disposition for teaching science in middle or high schools. STEM Education Interns receive $3,000 stipends for working full-time in seven-week summer internship positions at IUPUI and other non-profit organizations in Indianapolis. Learn more and apply.
Undergraduate Research for Prospective Physician-Scientists
The IU School of Medicine is recruiting individuals who are seriously interested in pursuing integrated careers as physician-scientists or physician-engineers and want to obtain combined degree training in an M.D./ Ph.D. Program. This is a program for individuals who will commit a significant component of their career to pursuing basic science, biomedical engineering, or human translational discovery within their professional career as a physician. Individuals who wish to pursue a career as a physician only or individuals who envision biomedical discovery as a minor component of their professional career should not apply to this program, but should seek other programs available on campus designed for your desired career track.
The program will pay each participant $3,500 for the ten-week summer experience.